What browsers do premium support?
appear.in is built using new web technology that is built into the browsers, and makes it possible to start a video conversation without installing anything. Unfortunately, not all browsers have added support for this yet, so you will not be able to use appear.in free or premium in them. Most browser vendors are working on implementing support for WebRTC, the technology we use, so we believe that within a year or two, all browsers will work in appear.in.
Supported desktop browsers:
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Microsoft Edge is currently in the experimental stage with our team.
Android devices: Anyone can join an appear.in room by opening a room link in one of these browser apps.
- Google Chrome for Android
- Firefox for Android
- Opera for Android
- The appear.in app (download from Google Play)
- The native browser on newer Android versions may work, but this varies with phone model. *Please keep in mind that some root kits and customized operating systems for Android phones can interfere with camera and mic permissions. If you are a heavy user of appear.in or other video apps we recommend the most the up to date stock Android OS.*
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge (coming)
- Safari - currently the newest version of Safari does not support the VP8 video codec that Premium rooms use. For now, only Free rooms are support in Safari through WebRTC.
- Windows Phone
- Samsung browser on Android Phones - Choose the option to open appear.in in the Chrome app instead.
There are many great new browsers out there, but unfortunately, we are a small team and have to focus on resources on the most popular configurations to support. Given that, you're welcome to use other browsers that support WebRTC, but we have limited means to be able to support problems that may arise from using other browsers.
appear.in supports the two latest versions of any browser, so if it doesn't work, try updating your browser. We recommend setting your browser to auto-update.