What browsers do premium support?
appear.in is built using new web technology that is built into the browsers, and makes it possible to start a video conversation without installing anything. Unfortunately, not all browsers have added support for this yet, so you will not be able to use appear.in free or premium in them. Most browser vendors are working on implementing support for WebRTC, the technology we use, so we believe that within a year or two, all browsers will work in appear.in.
Supported desktop browsers:
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Other smaller browsers may also work. Run this test in your browser to see if it is supported (or just try appear.in).
- Safari and Microsoft Edge are currently in the experimental stage with our team. As WebRTC support was recently released in both systems (preview for Safari), our team is working hard to test them out to work through any bugs before we roll out general support for appear.in in these browser types.
- It is currently not technically possible to do video conversations directly in any browser on iOS
- Download our native iOS app
Android devices: Anyone can join an appear.in room by opening a room link in one of these browser apps.
- Google Chrome for Android
- Firefox for Android
- Opera for Android
- The appear.in app (download from Google Play)
- The native browser on newer Android versions may work, but this varies with phone model. *Please keep in mind that some root kits and customized operating systems for Android phones can interfere with camera and mic permissions. If you are a heavy user of appear.in or other video apps we recommend the most the up to date stock Android OS.*
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge (coming)
- Safari (hopefully coming, but it's up to Apple)
- Windows Phone
There are many great new browsers out there, but unfortunately, we are a small team and have to focus on resources on the most popular configurations to support. Given that, you're welcome to use other browsers that support WebRTC, but we have limited means to be able to support problems that may arise from using other browsers.
appear.in supports the two latest versions of any browser, so if it doesn't work, try updating your browser. We recommend setting your browser to auto-update.