I'm not using Chrome, Firefox, or Opera. What other browsers do you support?
appear.in is built using new web technology that is built into the browsers, and makes it possible to start a video conversation without installing anything. Unfortunately, not all browsers have added support for this yet, so you will not be able to use appear.in in them. Most browser vendors are working on implementing support for WebRTC, the technology we use, so we believe that within a year or two, all browsers will work in appear.in.
Supported desktop browsers:
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Other smaller browsers may also work. Run this test in your browser to see if it is supported (or just try appear.in).
- Safari and Microsoft Edge are currently in the experimental stage with our team. As WebRTC support was recently released in both systems (preview for Safari), our team is working hard to test them out to work through any bugs before we roll out general support for appear.in in these browser types.
- It is currently not technically possible to do video conversations directly in any browser on iOS
- Download our native iOS app
Android devices: Anyone can join an appear.in room by opening a room link in one of these browsers.
- Google Chrome for Android
- Firefox for Android
- Opera for Android
- The appear.in app (download from Google Play)
- The native browser on newer Android versions may work, but this varies with phone model.
- Internet Explorer
- Safari (hopefully coming, but it's up to Apple)
- Windows Phone
There are many great new browsers out there, but unfortunately, we are a small team and have to focus on resources on the most popular configurations to support. Given that, you're welcome to use other browsers that support WebRTC, but we have limited means to be able to support problems that may arise from using other browsers.
appear.in supports the two latest versions of any browser, so if it doesn't work, try updating your browser. We recommend setting your browser to auto-update.
Microsoft Edge notes:
Support for Microsofts Edge browser is experimental and will be available in future versions of the browser. Currently only special tech preview versions called insider builds support appear.in, but as soon as support is released in stable versions available for consumers we will support it fully.
As we increase support for browsers and improve features within them you can check our updates via our social media channels ( Blog |Twitter | Facebook | Instagram) or sign up for our community newsletter!