Can I embed an appear.in room in my website or use an iframe version?
At the moment, appear.in doesn't have an API or SDK that's available to developers that would like to integrate a room into their software. In the past we did offer an API, but we closed down the API in early 2017 to focus on our product direction and refining our use-case. While we don't have any immediate plans to re-introduce the API, we are constantly reviewing this decision based on user feedback and the bandwidth of our team!
However, we are aware of some users that still embed their appear.in rooms on their own websites. While we don't actively try to prevent people from doing this, we also don't support it. Sometimes something as small as a browser update, or update to WebRTC can break these integrations and cause problems with functionality. If at any time an embedded room starts to experience these kinds of issues, it will fall on the developer or site owner to address and resolve them. A good way to test if an embedded room is broken is to test the same room on the appear.in domain to see if the problem still happens there.
For users including a link to a specific appear.in room within their site, that room will need to be owned by the website creator. Additionally the owner will be bound to our Terms of Service for all users:
You are responsible for your use of the appear.in, including the lawfulness of any content displayed, shared, uploaded or otherwise made available by you in the Service (“the User Content”).
Prohibited User Content includes, without limitation, content which:
- is offensive, such as User Content that engages in, endorses or promotes racism, bigotry, discrimination, hatred, harassment or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
- displays or links to pornographic, sexually explicit or any other indecent material;
- promotes or endorses false or misleading information or illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- promotes or endorses an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work;
- infringes on other’s trademarks, copyright or legal rights
- contains restricted or password only access pages or hidden pages or images;
- solicits passwords or personal data from other users; or
- violates the rights of or harms or threatens the safety of other users or the Service.
- shares Personal information about others, without their consent
User Content includes room names, and you are responsible for ensuring room names does not include Prohibited User Content (as listed below). Your room names are used to construct the the URLs identifying your rooms, and guests you invite and other third parties can (request to) enter your rooms based on these URLs. As these guests do not need to authenticate to appear.in in order to do this, please be aware that room names must be considered public information. Do not include any information that you consider personal information in room names.