Meeting Controls and Settings
Each appear.in room can have individualized settings for what users have access to the room, how the room looks, and how many participants can join.
- Room Size (PRO feature): To change the size of your meeting room you can do so under the settings menu or directly at the top of the room page. More about room sizes and how they work can be found here.
- Customize your Room (PRO feature): Add your company branding to your appear.in room. Find step by step instructions in our help article here.
- Chat: Text chat is available in both the Free and PRO versions of appear.in. To keep our system running efficiently, all chat messages are removed from a participant's view when they leave the room. However, for room owners and members, they can clear the chat messages for everyone without anyone having to leave the room.
- Members (PRO feature): See the list of room members and manage them as needed. More information on membership can be found in our help article here:
We introduced the Room Lock as a way to guarantee that your conversations in your room a private, and so that other users can't join mid-meeting and interrupt by accident. We recommend keeping your room Locked at all times after you've Created it, and only Unlocking it if you're expecting a lot of users to join and don't want to have to let each one in.
Lock/Unlock the Room
If you are the Room Owner or a Member of the room you're in, you can click the Lock button in the top bar to Lock your room. When you do this you'll get a confirmation that the room has been Locked. If you need to Unlock the room, just click the button again.
Let in Knocking Users
If a user tries to enter your room when it's Locked, they'll be taken to your Knock Page. This lets the user know that the room can't be entered without permission, and gives the user the option to Knock to be let in.
When a user Knocks, the Room Owner or a Member will get a notification that someone would like to join the meeting. A Knocking User can either be Let in if you were expecting someone, or you can See who was knocking if you aren't sure.
If you select the See who option, you can then Let the user in, Put them on Hold, or Reject them entry to the room.
Meeting Participant Controls
When you're in a meeting, there are many different options you can use on a per-user basis depending on what your role in the room is and what you need to do. All of these options can be accessed by hovering over the user in question, and clicking on the three dots that appear in the top right corner of their feed. Features that are restricted to Room Owners or Members appear below the line. Below you'll find descriptions of what each option does.
- Enlarge/Minimize: Make someone's feed the focus on your screen, or make their feed smaller
- Fullscreen: Make someone's feed take up your entire screen
- Disable sound: Locally Mute the user (this doesn't must the user for everyone in the room)
- Invite member (PRO only): Invite this user to be a Member of your room
- Remove: Temporarily kick the user from your room
Note that the Enlarge, Fullscreen, and Local Mute options are also available when you hover over the user's video feed for quick access.
When you're in a room, you have a number of different options that are available in the Room Toolbar at the bottom of the screen. These options allow you to do things like temporarily mute your mic or cam, and also where sharing features like screensharing can be accessed. See below for descriptions of each option.
- Share screen: Use this feature to share your screen with other participants. For full details on this, see our article in the Screen Sharing section.
- Mic off: Use this to mute your own mic, so other participants can't hear you
💡PRO Tip: You can also press "M" on your keyboard as a shortcut
- Cam off: Use this to turn your camera feed off so other participants can't see you
- Leave: This button lets you leave the room when you're done with your meeting
Every appear.in room has the option to send messages via a chat box. This feature is very useful for participants that need to share a link and is also how some of our Integrations are used. For example, you paste a YouTube link in the chat, and use the Watch Together feature to watch the video with everyone in the room!
To help appear.in run efficiently and in interest of privacy, chat messages are not saved or stored on appear.in servers. All messages are erased from participants view as soon as they leave the meeting room.